Anchor Charts

G2 Information Writing: elaboration anchor chart 
At the end of last term, Libbey came up to me whilst the class were busy revising and asked if she could work at the front of the room.  "Sure," I replied and then I asked her why.  "I need to be close to the chart so I can double check if I have done everything I need to do to make my writing strong," was the reply that came back.  To say I was amazed is an understatement. 

Although I use charts all the time in workshop to keep track of what we are up to and remind children of strategies they could try or behaviours they could follow, I have never had a child actually come forward and state their intention to use a chart when working independently.  A quick workshop interruption later and sure enough, I had half a dozen students sitting in front of the chart, talking about what they were going to try in their work that day.  The power of anchor charts cannot be underestimated and I personally still prefer them handwritten and up on the wall permanently for the duration of a unit so that I can refer to them often. 

Every year when Celena visits us she brings with her some new resource that we suddenly realise that we cannot live without.  Last year it was the giant post-it notes.  The post-its allow you to write your strategy before the lesson and add it to the chart right in the moment, thus saving time and keeping charts looking good. It also means if you make a spelling mistake or draw something that you are totally unhappy with, you can start over quickly on another post-it rather than having to live with crossings out or wonky writing on a chart for the whole unit if you don't want to.

Further examples of sticky note anchor charts are below:

G5 Fantasy Book Clubs
K2 All About Books: writing process chart
G1 Opinion Writing: idea generation chart

We have a whole bunch of these post-it notes in the office, if you would like to give your charts a revamp then please let me know and I can send some your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment